From Love&Food- Food Lover`s Market-Recipe by Mari-Louis Guy & Callie Maritz
The taste of slow cooking , but with half the work already done for you. Old-fashioned cooking meets new age convenience!
1 rotisserie chicken
6 medium potatoes
Juice of 1 lemon
2 sticks celery (optional)
60 g butter
3 Tbsp ( 45 g) flour
1 Tbsp ( 15 ml) olive oil
1 cup (250 ml) cream
2 cups (500 ml) of milk
2 sprigs thyme
Handful of olives
1 packet ( 400 g) ready-rolled puff pastry
Preheat your oven to 200C.
Grease an oval ovenproof dish.
- Pull all the meat off the chicken, breaking it into small pieces as you go along. Take care to remove all the skin and bones.
- Boil the potatoes until a sharp knife can penetrate them easily. Slip off the skins and cut into rounds. Line the pie dish with the potatoes.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice.
- Chop the onions and celery and fry in the butter until soft and caramelized.
- Add the flour, and stir for about a minute.
- Add the cream, milk and continue stirring until sauce is thick.
- Add the olives and chicken. Stir until well combined. If the sauce is too dry add more milk.
- Pour the chicken mixture over the potato layer.
- Allow to cool and decorate with circles of pastry.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash and bake the pie for 45 minutes.