From Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life- Callie Maritz and Mari-Louis Guy
Just the fluffiest, most flavourful chocolate cupcake you will ever bake. We are still astounded each time on how light these beauties are. Decorate with any fresh fruit that goes well with chocolate like strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries or pomegranate jewels.
2 cups (400 g) sugar
1 ¾ cups (245 g) flour
¾ cup (90 g) cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp (7.5 g) baking powder
11/2 tsp (7.5 g) bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp (5 g) salt
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup (250 ml) milk
½ cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla essence
1 cup (250 g) boiling water
Preheat your oven to 180C. Prepare muffin pan with 18-24 baking cups.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil and the vanilla essence. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Stir in the boiling water- the batter should be runny.
- Pour the batter into the baking cups in equal measures.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting with Chocolate Buttercream and topping with berries of your choice.
Chocolate Buttercream Icing
125 g butter, softened
2/3 cup ( 80 g) cocoa powder
2 ½ cups ( 350 g) icing sugar, sifted
1/3 cup ( 80 ml) milk
1 tsp ( 5 ml) vanilla essence
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Into the bowl of an electric mixer, add the butter, then stir in the cocoa powder.
- Alternatively add small amounts of the icing sugar and milk, beating on medium speed until it reaches spreading consistency. Add a splash of milk if too stiff.
- Finally add in the vanilla essence and beat to combine.