Recipe and styling by Mari-Louis Guy & Callie Maritz for CRUSH.
The difference between a mundane and a fantastic curry lies in the quality and freshness of the spices used.
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 green chillies
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) medium curry powder
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) garam masala powder
- 4 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 C (250 ml) water
- 750 g prawns with tails, deveined and peeled
- ½ C (125 ml) coconut milk
- salt to taste
- a handful of fresh coriander
Fry the onion in the oil until soft and translucent, and then add the garlic, chillies, curry and garam masala. Lower the heat. Add the tomatoes and the water and gently simmer for at least 30 minutes for the flavours to deepen.
Add the prawns and coconut milk, and simmer until the prawns are pink and firm. Season with salt, if necessary. Remove from the heat and add a handful of chopped coriander.
Serve with rice, poppadoms, sambals and chutney.