Recipe and styling by Mari-Louis Guy & Callie Maritz for CRUSH.
Oysters need very little dressing up, but the distinct acidic flavour of gooseberry complements the natural briny taste of oysters beautifully.
- 12 oysters
- a handful of gooseberries, halved
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- small glug of olive oil
- freshly milled black pepper to taste
- pomegranate seeds (rubies), for garnishing
Shuck the oysters and place them on a bed of crushed ice. Scatter the gooseberries over the oysters. Combine the lime juice and zest, balsamic vinegar, chilli and olive oil. Drizzle the oysters with the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Serve within 30 minutes.