From ONE Pot Pan Tray by Mari-Louis Guy & Callie Maritz
Original recipe by Theresa de Vries. Not only our First Lady of Pastry, but clearly also a deft hand with meat dishes.
1 Tbsp (15 ml) flour
salt and pepper
1 kg pork neck chops
2 onions, chopped
3 rashers bacon, chopped
1 cup (250 ml) water ( or stock)
1 bay leaf
¾ cup (190 ml) peach or mango chutney
1 clove garlic, minced
150 g yellow sultanas
4 peppercorns, cracked
2 sweet potatoes, sliced
1 bottle (130 g) cocktail onions, drained
8 ginger biscuits, crumbled
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, then dust the pork with this. Shake off any excess.
- Place the chops, onions and bacon in a large casserole set over moderate heat. Drizzle with olive oil. Fry, turning the chops every so often until browned all over, about 10 minutes.
- Add the water, bay leaf, chutney, garlic, sultanas and peppercorns.
- Simmer, covered over low heat for 30 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and simmer for a further 30 minutes or until the meat and sweet potatoes are very tender. Check regularly if there is enough liquid in the pot.
- Add the cocktail onions and ginger biscuits, then mix through.
- Cook for another 15 minutes, then serve.