From Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life-Callie Maritz&Mari-Louis Guy
`All I ask is that you treat me like you would Martha `.
Definitely inspired by Martha Stewart, this simple stunner is our Vanilla Hot Milk Sponge, to which you can add your favourite topping.
2 cups (280 g) cake flour
1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
pinch of salt
4 eggs, at room temperature
2 cups (400 g) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
120 g butter
1 cup ( 250 ml)milk
Preheat oven to 180 C.
Grease and line 2 x 18 cm pans or 4 shallow heart-shaped pans.
- In a mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs and sugar until pale yellow.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, stir in the vanilla essence.
- In a small saucepan bring the milk and the butter to the boil, then slowly add this to the batter, stirring gently.
- Pour into the pans and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
4 cups (1000 ml) cream
1/2cups icing sugar (100 g)
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla essence
3 cups mixed berries in season ( blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, gooseberry).
In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, combine the cream, icing sugar and vanilla essence. Gradually increase the speed until stiff peaks form.
To assemble: For round cakes, split each cake into two layers. Spread each layer with the cream and layer with fruit. Repeat for all 4 layers.