‘Another bride, Another June
Another sunny honeymoon
Another season, another reason
For makin’ whoopee. ‘
Makin’ Whoopee, as sung by Frank Sinatra
From our book Cakebread Pudding & Pie
Whoopie Pies are exquisite little cake sandwiches.
1 cup ( 200 g) castor sugar
3 Tbsp ( 45 ml) vegetable oil
1 Tsp ( 5 ml) vanilla essence
2 tsp ( 10 ml) baking powder
1 cup (140 g) cake flour
½ cup ( 60 g) cocoa powder
¾ cup ( 190 ml) buttermilk
Preheat your oven to 180 °C. Grease a whoopie pie tray or patty pan.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the sugar and eggs together. With the mixer running on low, add the oil and vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl, sift the baking powder, flour and cocoa powder.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the egg mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Scoop about 1½ Tbsp (22.5 ml) batter into each well of the whoopie or patty pan.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes or until the centres of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.
- Leave to cool in the pan before turning out and repeating the process with the rest of the batter.
Use a spoonful of the Creamy Strawberry filling to sandwich two cakes together to make a whoopie pie, then decorate on top with the chocolate filling.
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh cream
200 g best-quality dark chocolate, chopped
2 Tbsp (30 ml) bourbon
In a double boiler, combine the cream and chocolate. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat, then stir in the bourbon. Cool until spreadable.
CREAMY STRAWBERRY FILLING
125 g butter, softened
1½ cups (210 g) icing sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp (30 ml) milk
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
1 Tbsp (15 ml) strawberry jam
pink or red food colouring (optional)
In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter until pale and creamy. Add the icing sugar and half the milk. Mix well, then add the vanilla essence, jam and food colouring (to the desired shade). If the mixture is too firm, add the rest of the milk and beat until it reaches the desired consistency.
MAKES 15–18 WHOOPIE PIES